[Note from editor: We publish a Weekly Transmission for 190+ Geek Estate Mastermind members that consists of long form articles covering the spectrum from shipping container co-living spaces to the battle for listing acquisition in the first iBuyer world war.
Below is a sample of one of the weekly long-form articles that members have full access to for only $97/quarter.]
On the heals of Google’s announcement that they are investing $1 billion in housing across the Bay Area, I thought it fitting that this month’s Transmission should be the article I wrote about employer-assisted housing.
Without further ado…
Raising Commissions is the New Black
BY DREW MEYERS
Originally Published: June 27th, 2019
Startup after startup has taken aim in the marketplace at commonly accepted agent commission practices. Redfin launched in 2005 as a discount brokerage. In 2015, one of its founders, David Eraker, took another stab at slicing commissions with Surefield. GoldenKey went belly up, as did SideDoor. HomeBay, Reali and Trelora are more recent attempts and more will arrive on the scene pushing the same theme.
Opendoor’s CEO has even gone so far to say that they’re working to make the cost of buying and selling zero (locked).
Seemingly, everyone — except agents, of course — believes that agents are overpaid, although amid all the shots being fired, nothing has taken hold.
But what if there is a segment where the opposite is true? Where the opportunities for commissions are driven up, not down?
Want to read the rest? Update your email settings to read the whole text version via email tomorrow.
GEEK ESTATE MASTERMIND BRIEFING
A PRIVATE GROUP OF INDEPENDENT THINKERS, FREE FROM SPONSORED MESSAGES, SALES PITCHES AND NOISE
There are four parts to membership:
- Long form articles covering the spectrum from shipping container co-living spaces to the battle for listing acquisition in the first iBuyer world war (Weekly Transmission).
- Curated real estate, startups, & built world links & analysis blended with out of the box ideas (Weekly Radar).
- Special reports (our first is a category review of Small Landlord Prop Mgmt Software).
- Networking opportunities with 170+ innovators from across the globe through the private forum & in-person gatherings.
Membership is $97 / quarter
(pricing for new members will be raised 10-15% in the next few months)
OUR MEMBER PROMISE
- We deliver an exclusive, objective lens into the trends, companies, people, and ideas shaping real estate technology with thought-provoking analysis and conversations that keep you inspired every week.
- We help you make better, more well-informed decisions to help grow and support people and companies making a difference in real estate.
- We enable discovery and meeting others with shared interests online and in person (whether they live near you or are traveling to the same conference).
We’re looking for the best and brightest founders, operators, innovators, & investors in the industry…
READY TO JOIN RIGHT NOW?
To receive the Monthly Transmission & Radar going forward, please ensure “Receive Monthly Radar/Transmission” is set to YES in your email settings. The full versions are normally NOT be posted on the blog, but this month we chose to do so.